Depression is hard and painful. Although it’s something I’m still struggling with myself, why not share some ways to help make depression less depressing!
- Wash up. Depression makes simple things like showering feel like too much effort and not worth it. Do it anyway.
- Get out of your pajamas/lazy-wear.
- Wake up at a reasonable time. And if you can’t, don’t bully yourself about it.
- Stretch. Or if you’re not as lazy as me, exercise!
- Get some fresh air in your home.
- Spend some time outside in nature, even if it’s just standing on the porch and admiring the trees. Go for a walk or bike ride if you can.
- Eat some healthy food and spend time preparing it. Putting together a meal (even a small one) is calming and almost as enjoyable as eating it.
- Avoid vegetating in front of the TV or aimlessly wandering the internet. Read some books instead.
- When you do spend time before the TV/computer, limit your time and watch things that make you laugh.
- Clean up around your home. Pick up any dirty laundry/garbage that’s accumulated, wash the dishes, and sweep up.
- Spend some quiet time to yourself.
- Listen to music that makes your heart sing and makes you dance.
- Be kind to everyone you meet, and do something nice for others. Making others smile will lift your spirits. Happiness is contagious.
- Create something. Draw, paint, sew, photograph.
- Read/listen to inspiring stories of others overcoming obstacles and finding happiness.
- Find someone to talk to, be it a friend or therapist.
Depression is hard, but there is always hope. Let’s do our best to take care of ourselves and make dealing with depression less depressing.
Much Peace and Keep Roamin’