A new season is about to begin, as is the shortest day of the year!
Winter has officially begun and the days will start getting longer. Soon enough, warmer weather will be on the wind, and the greenery of the new year will start to appear!
Although the new year hasn’t started, it’s always the perfect time to consider our lives, habits, new goals, and our progress on ones we’ve previously set.
It’s also never too early or too late to make a point to take better care of ourselves. Ideally, health shouldn’t cross our minds only when we’re feeling horrible. Health is something we constantly have to work for. Filling up on junk food, too much salt, and entertaining horrible sleeping habits are definitely not ways to maintain health.
There’s so much easy stuff we can do to better and maintain our health, and these often leave us feeling immensely better than the alternatives we may be used to.
- Eat healthy, real food. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, berries, and the like. Try to cut down on the Yellow 5, artificial flavors, and other unnecessary chemicals and additions.
- Prepare your own food. This way you control what you eat, and enjoy the calm bliss that comes with making something yourself!
- Have healthy snacks on hand and ready for when you get hungry. Be sure you stock your fridge and pantry with healthy foods you actually like. If you enjoy what you eat, eating healthy doesn’t seem like a chore, but a joy.
- Stop bringing unhealthy food into the house, and avoid it in your travels. It’s harder to binge on cheesecake at 2am if you don’t have any. If the fridge at work is often stocked with cake and soda, stop looking in it. Don’t tempt yourself if you don’t have to.
- Make healthier versions of your guilty pleasures. Make cake and cookies with reduced sugar, or use agave or honey instead.
- Create and maintain a regular sleep schedule. Not the easiest one, especially if we have irregular work schedules. Try to find a general time to go to bed and wake up that will be flexible enough for our usual work hours, class time, activities, etc.
- Drink more water.
- Exercise. Even if it’s just walking farther to work, jogging around the block, or dancing around your home.
Definitely so much to look forward to this new season and new year. Let’s work to make health something we enjoy!
Much Peace and Keep Roamin’